The proud (and utterly stylish) owner of a TLB piece loves to maintain it in mint condition. Which is why we have dedicated an entire page to the Leather TLC ritual.
All leather products from The Leather boutique are made with the finest Analine and Nappa leather. The colours range from so-in-vogue-now bright colours to classic shades. In both cases they are prone to accidents (like all other things) and can get stained or dusty/ musty with misuse and neglect. Please remember that every product is crafted to weather well and look better with time. However, as with all good things, you need to invest a wee bit of time into keeping your TLB collection happy.
- Do not expose your TLB piece directly to any of the elements. Direct sunlight and getting soaked in rain will mean there will be consequences like extra dryness and discolouration. So try and keep it protected.
- If your piece does get soaked, remember to condition it quickly while the pores are still open and then dry it (away from direct sunlight).
- Mildew catches on in humid regions and can be removed by making a mixture of alcohol diluted with water. Wipe the mildew area with a cloth dipped in the diluted alcohol, then allow it to dry. If the mildew persists, use mild soap and water that contains a germicide, then remove with a clean dampened cloth and then allow it to dry naturally and away from direct sunlight.
- A layer of dust can be done away with by gently wiping your precious TLB with a slightly damp, soft (flannel) cloth.
- Spills must be quickly soaked up. The more they sit unattended on your TLB piece, the more chances of irreversible damage. Wipe it with a clean cloth or sponge and if needed, follow up with another wipe with lukewarm water and then allow it to air dry.
- Fresh stains (like food) can be cleaned up quickly with a damp cloth. Stains from oil or grease can be lifted by grinding ordinary blackboard chalk, sprinkling the area, and leaving the powder on for a full day. Don’t rub the powder into the leather. Leave it on for a while, and then simply brush off lightly.
- With more stubborn stains, try a small drop of baby wash or a mild moisturizing soap like Dove. When rubbing, use even round circles. To remove the soap, use another clean, damp cloth without water. Allow it to dry for at least an hour before use.
- For suede or nubuck leather, use a suede brush and suede protector (available at most leather shoe stores) to keep the suede in good condition. NOTE: Please don’t use a leather cream on TLB products as it may discolour the piece as the cream contains a heavy dose of chemicals. Leather conditioner, of a good quality, is welcome.
- Get hold of a waterproof leather spray to keep it protected always.
The right route to the perfect TLC spa session for your precious TLB is: Cleaning, Conditioning, Polishing and Use. Choose cleaning leather care products
with care and sit in a well-ventilated area while doing it. That’s because most cleaning products emit chemical fumes that will irritate you.
Cleaning: To clean a leather item, first choose a cleaner that will help preserve the natural lubricating oils instead of stripping them. A mildly moisturizing soap will be perfect. The soap shouldn’t leave any greasy residue behind. Residue makes leather susceptible to bacteria and can break down the stitching. Before applying anything to your leather item, test it out on a smaller area. Use a soft cloth and lukewarm water and rub in circles while cleaning. Remove residue with a dry cloth.
Conditioning: Leather conditioners are meant for occasional use. Invest in a good quality one and use it when your TLB piece looks tired, this could be a good leather balm or restoration cream.
Polishing: is done rarely to give the piece a high glossy shine.
Use: Regular use of your TLB piece will keep it looking healthy and happy. Don’t stuff it into the back of your cupboard when not in use. Instead hang it up and take it out at least once a week. We craft our products to look better the more you use it.
Storage: DO NOT store your Leather products in plastic as over time they will get mouldy. Instead DO store them in the cloth/paper bag we provide with your product. We use a non-woven fabric for the dust bags, this is specially made for leather goods. It keeps dust and dirt away and the porosity allows the leather to breathe. This aids in retarding the growth of mold and fungus.
Disclaimer: Our products have been hand crafted from high quality genuine leather. Leather looks better with age and changes in the leather and sign of wear are normal. We recommend that you treat a leather item with care and limit exposure to direct heat and sunlight. Keep the product dry and avoid contact with water. Do not use any chemical cleaners except trusted leather protectors and conditioners to care for your leather product.